Politics is presented to us day by day, in the division of powers, democracy or in one of its many ways and it will be constantly affecting us, for or against. It is to prepare so that, indirectly, it solves social problems with advice, research and carrying out projects according to the analysis they carry out of society, criticizing it and looking for solutions to improve it.
What is the Political Science career about?
Political Science is a discipline of the social Sciences that deals with government systems, analysis of political activity and political behavior. It deals extensively with the theory and practice of politics, which is commonly considered to determine the distribution of power and resources.
Political scientists reveal the underlying relationships to political events and conditions, and, from these revelations, they try to construct general principles about the way in which the world of politics works.
Political Science studies the power relations between different types of authority and individuals.
Political science is related to and based on the fields of economics, law, sociology, history, philosophy, geography, psychology, and anthropology.
Although codified in the 19th century, when the contemporary form of academic social science was established, the study of political science has ancient roots dating back to the works of Aristotle, Plato, and Chanakya that were written nearly 2,500 years ago.
Political science is commonly divided into different sub-disciplines that together make up the field: comparative politics, international political economy, international relations, political theory, public administration, public law, and political methodology.
Comparative politics is the science of comparing and teaching different types of constitutions, political actors, legislature, and associated fields, all from an intrastate perspective.
International relations are concerned with the interaction between nation states and intergovernmental and transnational organizations. Political theory is more concerned with the contributions of various classical and contemporary thinkers and philosophers.
Political science is methodologically diverse and appropriates many methods originating from social research. Approaches include positivism, interpretivism, rational choice theory, behaviorism, structuralism, poststructuralism, realism, institutionalism, and pluralism.
As one of the social sciences, it uses methods and techniques that relate to the types of research sought: primary sources such as historical documents and official records, secondary sources such as academic journal articles, survey research, statistical analysis, case studies, research experimental and model building.
What is the profile of a Political Science professional like?
If you want to enter the world of politics as a science, it is first important that you have a series of qualities and skills to make your job as a future political scientist easier. It is important that you are a person:
- Passionate about research: This career involves a lot of reading and investigating political processes, history, and theories put forward by thinkers and philosophers on the subject.
- Methodical: You must be an orderly person and willing to follow a work method.
- RationalNot only must you read a lot, but you must use what you have learned and your own reasoning to come up with your own ideas and theories.
- Analytics: Everything you are reading must be thought and analyzed in order to present your own conclusions.
- Creative: If you have to come up with your own ideas and theories, let them be that, your own, yours.
- Intuitive: Although it is required that you be rational, as we already said, it is also important to make use of intuition.
What is the duration of the race?
The Political Science degree has a total duration of 4 years (240 ECTS)
How much does it cost to study Political Science?
The costs of the first course in Political Science tend to vary widely between the universities that offer the degree between their study options. For example, CEU San Pablo University in Madrid charges € 10,466 for the first course, being the most expensive so far. It is followed by others such as the CEU Cardenal Herrera University in Valencia, for € 7,800.
The Autonomous University of Barcelona, considered the best house of study for this career, has a price of € 1,516 for the first year, while the Santiago de Compostela University, also considered one of the best for Political Sciences, has a cost of € 591.
What cutoff grade is needed to study Political Science?
According to the newspaper El Mundo, the cut-off notes for the Political Science career are:
1st Autonomous University of Barcelona – 8.96
2nd Autonomous University of Madrid – 8.66
3rd Pompeu Fabra University – 8.95
4th Santiago de Compostela University – 8.1
5th Carlos III University – 9.77
General Subjects in Political Science
Although it can vary according to the house of study where it is studied, the subjects of Political Science are linked to history, law, economics and politics.
• Political economy
• Social Structure and General Sociology
• Human geography
• Universal Contemporary History
• Fundamentals of Political Science and Administration
• Contemporary History of Spain and the Legal-Political Institutions
• Methods and techniques of investigation
• Constitutional right
• History of Political Thought
• International relations and organizations
• Administrative law
• Public Sector Economics
• Analysis of Public Policies
• Culture, behavior and political actors
• Human Rights and International Cooperation
• Forms of Administrative Organization
• Public Finance and Financial Administration
• Institutions and policies of the European Union
• Comparative Politics
• Public sector employment regime
• Spanish political system
• Welfare state
• Sectorial Public Policies
• External Practices of the Degree in Political Science and Public Administration
• Administrative Procedure
• Contemporary Political Theory and Philosophy
Career opportunities and salary
The salary of a recently graduated political scientist in Spain will depend on the position they occupy and the functions they perform, however, according to the Professional College of Political Scientists and Sociologists in Madrid, it is between € 17,000 and € 25,000 per year.
Once graduated from the Political Science degree, the political scientist can work as a political analyst, consultant or political communication.
You can also have a career in public administration as a senior technician in public administration, as well as a manager of political and social organizations.
He can work advising politicians on leadership issues and as a technician in electoral campaigns.
How to know if this race is for me?
If you are a person who has always shown interest in analyzing social phenomena, if you are interested in developing or acquiring skills in oral or written communication and are capable of plausibly explaining some idea, in addition to persuading others about these things, then A major in political science is an excellent study option.
The degree will give you the skills to be able to critically evaluate and explain these social phenomena.