The Spanish education system offers a wide variety of training offers and a wide fan of educational and program centers.
Scheme of the Spanish Educational System
- The early childhood educationIt is made up of two cycles: the first cycle is up to three years, and the second, from three to six years of age and focuses on the affective, social, physical and intellectual development of children.
- The primary education it is compulsory and free. It is organized in three cycles of two years each and is developed in six academic courses of 6 to 12 years.
- The Secondary education obligatory (THAT). Has a duration of four years and students start at 12 years old and finish at 16 years of age, during ESO the student receives general training and then will continue the Baccalaureate or the option of intermediate vocational training.
- The high school It is the last stage, normally it is done between 16 and 18 years old. Its duration is two courses, upon positive completion of the course, the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. The Baccalaureate is also divided into 4 different options: Arts; Natural and Health Sciences; Humanities and Social Sciences; Technology. The Baccalaureate is designed to cover a wide variety of interests owned by 16 and 18-year-olds.
- The Vocational training prepares students to get started in the professional field, providing them with a basic, specific vocational training of intermediate and higher degree.
- Artistic education specialized in music and dance are divided into three degrees:
- Elementary Grade: four years in duration and entry criteria are established that take into account the ideal age for these teachings.
- Medium Grade: It has three cycles of two academic years each and it is necessary to pass a specific entrance exam.
- Superior grade: It has a cycle of duration and it is a requirement to pass the studies corresponding to the third cycle of intermediate degree. Pass the specific access test, demonstrate professional knowledge and skills, upon completion of the higher degree, the higher degree is obtained in the corresponding specialty, equivalent to the title of University Degree.
- Artistic education specialized in dramatic art: It is made up of a single higher degree, to enter it is a requirement to have a Bachelor’s degree and pass a specific test. At the end of the course positively, the Higher Degree in Dramatic Art is awarded, the title of University Degree.
- Artistic education specialized in plastic arts and design: They are considered higher studies, includes those related to artistic trades, design, conservation and restoration of cultural assets. To study it is a requirement to have the Graduate degree in Secondary Education or Bachelor’s degree and pass the established tests. At the end of the studies, the title of Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Assets is obtained, equivalent to the title of University Diploma.
- Polytechnic Universities
- University schools
- Non-university higher education institutions.
Spain is a country of great attractions, one of them is precisely its Higher Education SystemPerhaps it is due to its wide training offer or perhaps it is due to the professional quality conferred by its degrees. Whatever the reason, you want to better understand what it is like study in Spain.
On Spanish soil you can find from general training centers, to specialized institutes in specific areas. Regardless of the profession you choose, if there is something you can boast of in the country, it is having a training program for each occupation you decide to learn.
The interesting thing about the Spanish case is the diversity of options, not only in terms of the educational offer, but also in terms of its structure, because in the country you will be able to access official and unofficial degrees in universities, the Higher Level Vocational Training and Special Regime Teachings.
How is the Spanish Higher Education system made up?
The system Higher Education in Spain It is one of the most complete in the world. Many of the professionals who graduate from Spanish higher level institutions may be able to work in any type of organization or company in the world. But of course, this would not be possible if this educational system had not gone through all the growth and renewal processes that it has experienced.
Today the Spanish university system has as leading institutions the public and private universities, which are responsible for imparting official degrees and their own or unofficial degrees.
The Spain’s university system is part of the country’s Higher Education system, where we also find another class of higher institutions, such as Higher Grade Vocational Training centers or institutions that provide Special Regime Teaching at the Higher Grade level.
The Universities that can be private or publicand they are organized in Faculties. The public Universities are created by the Autonomous Communities in which they are established and the private ones are constituted by natural or legal persons.
The Spanish university system comprises 49 public universities, 14 private universities and 4 Universities of the Catholic Church.
Universities provide academic content from various scientific disciplines (economics and law, literature and history, etc.). This option generates professionals in demand by the national and international business sector.
The Catholic universities, which are constituted by the Catholic Church and the universities of non-face-to-face training, since the latter have gained great relevance for some time now, with the student being able to find in them bachelor’s degrees, masters or doctorates online or at a distance .
For their part, private university centers are usually attached to public universities, or integrated into private universities. The purpose of this kind of institution is to impart the same degrees of the university establishment to which they are attached or integrated and under the same conditions.
Higher Level Vocational Training Centers
The Higher Level Vocational Training Centers allow the student to obtain the Higher Technician qualification in the specialty addressed.
This kind of institution trains students in a particular professional specialty, with a view to entering the labor market.
By obtaining this kind of degree, the graduate will be able to access a university without the need to take the entrance test.
Higher Grade Special Regime Teaching Institutions
This class of institutions focuses on the teachings of music, dance, dramatic art, conservation and restoration of cultural assets, design, plastic arts and languages.
Upon completion of studies, those who graduate from this type of institution obtain higher degrees that may be equivalent to a Bachelor’s or Diploma.
Higher degrees in Spain
Starting with the degrees offered by Spanish universities, we will say that both in public and private institutions, we can find official degrees and own degrees.
The official degrees awarded by the universities of Spain have very interesting characteristics. In addition to being valid throughout the national territory, they are valid in all countries that are part of the European Higher Education Area and, at the same time, are qualifications that can be recognized in other countries that do not belong to this category.
Regarding the degree obtained by the graduate in these cases, we can say that there are three possibilities: Official Degree (corresponding to the first cycle, 4 academic years), Master’s degree (from the second cycle, between 1 and 2 years) and Doctorate (third cycle, between 3 and 5 years).
Own degrees are those that only have the endorsement of the university that imparts them and do not have the endorsement of the governments. This type of degree does not have official validity within the European Higher Education Area and generally cannot be homologated in other countries.
Whoever chooses this kind of training may obtain the Unofficial Degree, Unofficial Master’s Degree or the titles of University Specialist or Expert.
In addition to these degrees, as detailed above, those who study at Higher Level Vocational Training Centers may obtain the title of Higher Technician in the chosen specialty.
Equivalence with the European ECTS system
- 9.6-10 MH Matriculation of Honor = A (EXCELLENT)
- 9.0-10.0 SB Outstanding = B (VERY GOOD)
- 7.0 – 8.9 NOTABLE (NT)
- 7.0-8.9 NT Notable = C (GOOD)
- 6.0-6.9 AP Pass = D (SATISFACTORY)
- 5.0-5.9 AP Pass = E (SUFFICIENT)
- 3.0-4.9 SS Fail = F (FAIL)
- 0-3.0 SS Fail = FX (FAIL)
Where to study in Spain?
List of Spanish Universities by Autonomous Communities:
University of Almeria
University of Cordoba
University of Granada
University of Huelva
International University of Andalusia
Pablo de Olavide University
San Jorge University
University of La Laguna
University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
University of cantabria
Menéndez Pelayo International University UIMP
Castilla la Mancha
Castilla-La Mancha university
Castile and Leon
University of Burgos
Catholic University of Avila
Miguel de Cervantes European University
University of Leon
Pontifical University of Salamanca
University of Salamanca
University of Valladolid
Abat Oliba CEU University
Autonomous University of Barcelona
University of Barcelona
International University of Catalonia
University of Lleida
Open University of Catalonia
Pompeu Fabra University
Ramón Llull University
Rovira i Virgili University
University of Vic
Alfonso X El Sabio University
University of Alcalá
Antonio de Nebrija University
Autonomous University of Madrid
Camilo José Cela University
University Carlos III of Madrid
Complutense University of Madrid
Distance University of Madrid
European University of Madrid
Francisco de Vitoria University
National University of Distance Education UNED
Polytechnic University of Madrid
Pontifical University …