An actuary is a person with extensive knowledge in mathematics and statistics. Its main function is the analysis of economic risks and the search for probabilities that certain situations will become reality. Companies that have actuaries on staff approach them for ongoing consultation before making important decisions.
As Actuaries we can anticipate events that have to do with financial scenarios related to public or private spheres. The analysis of statistical data is one of the actions that makes our function possible and allows us to build business models according to the characteristics of the company where we are.
How to recognize that this profession is for me?
The Actuary career is for people seeking to understand the beyond of a result. For those who after reaching a result need to understand how it could be achieved. Actuaries are proactive people and comfortable with math.
In which sectors does the activity of an actuary take place?
Actuarial jobs with employee status are carried out in life insurance companies, health organizations, national security organizations, credit and investment companies, banks and companies that grant loans and offer savings possibilities. There are also actuarial consultants working with a wide range of insurance companies and in investment management.
What kind of work does an actuary do?
The Actuary analyzes situations based on the data collected to create mathematical models and offer financial proposals. Any event that can cause a risk is related to the Actuary, who has the ability to estimate the possible futures of a company, mostly insurance.
An Acturio is able to work in:
- Private companies or financial services and risk management intermediaries;
- Public or governmental institutions;
- Trade unions;
- Warehouses, factoring and finance companies;
- National or International financial entities;
- Insurance or insurance companies,
- Stock Exchange or brokerage houses;
- Private or state universities as a researcher or teacher;
- Autonomous, Freelance or Independent professional.
Advantages and disadvantages of studying Actuary
- The race offers exclusivity because very few get to be received, beyond the fact that in recent times more and more people recognize that it will be very useful in the future.
- Wide job opportunities with good remuneration.
- New knowledge about the possibilities of investing to create our own business. Companies that have an Actuary among their employees do not usually make decisions without consulting him first.
- Recognize the mathematical tools for calculating risks.
- Participate directly in processes of control and management of economic reserves.
Some disadvantages of studying Actuary:
- It is a race that takes and demands time.
- High level of correlatives in the study plans for being a linear career.
- If you want to study at a private university and work to pay for it, time is even scarcer.
- The race is based on statistics and probability, but it doesn’t mean that if we were good with numbers in high school we will have an easy ride.
- The weight of decisions within a company falls heavily on Actuaries.
Where to study the career of Actuary?
In Argentina In CABA, the University of Buenos Aires in the Faculty of Economic Sciences offers the degree of Actuary with a duration of 5.5 years.
In Greater Buenos Aires (GBA) in the district of Pilar, the University of Salvador offers the degree course of Actuary with a duration of 4 years.
In Spain In the city of Madrid, the Carlos III University on the Puerta de Toledo Campus offers the training of a Master’s Degree in Actuarial and Financial Sciences (MCAF), with a duration of 2 years and consists of 120 ECTS credits.
In Mexico: Universidad Anáhuac México Norte offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Acting with a total of 275 credits.
The Universidad Anáhuac México Sur offers a Bachelor of Acting with a total of 275 credits.
The Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Actuary.
The National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) within the Faculty of Sciences offers the training of Actuarial in 8 semesters and consists of 438 credits.
The Autonomous University of Nuevo León offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Actuary with a duration of 9 semesters.
The University of the Americas, Puebla (UDLAP) offers the Bachelor’s Degree in Actuary consisting of 50 subjects, a total of 8 semesters and 300 Credits.
The Autonomous University of the State of Mexico, UAEM Cuautitlán Izcalli offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Actuary.
The Faculty of Higher Studies Acatlán of the National Autonomous University of Mexico offers a Bachelor of Acting with a total of 8 semesters.
The American Technological University offers a degree in Actuarialism in 10 Semesters.
The Autonomous University of Guadalajara offers Actuary training in 11 semesters equivalent to 3 years and 8 months.
The Autonomous University of the State of Mexico, UAEM Atizapán de Zaragoza offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Actuary.
The Autonomous University of Querétaro offers the title of Actuary with a duration of 4 years, in face-to-face mode and with a total of 342 credits.
The Autonomous University of Yucatán offers a Bachelor of Acting with a total of 32 subjects and 408 credits.
The Marist University offers the Bachelor of Actuarial in 9 Semesters.
The Autonomous University of the State of Mexico, UAEM Toluca offers a Bachelor of Acting with a total of 418/450 credits.
In Peru: At this moment there are no centers available for the training of actuary.