Educational Management is responsible for applying different techniques for the improvement of educational institutions. Its objective is to achieve the fulfillment of the vision and mission of the institution.
What is Educational Management about?
Educational Management includes several aspects, but tries in a general way to improve the functioning of educational institutions at all levels. For this, he will apply different institutional management methods learned during his degree. The Educational Management professional will carry out their tasks with respect to four different areas: directive management, in relation to the direction of the institution; pedagogical and academic management, aimed at improving curricula and implementing new pedagogical methods; community management, in order to develop the relations of the educational institution with the outside, as well as to make possible an adequate coexistence among the students of the educational center; and administrative and financial management, which will try to improve the application of the institution’s resources.
What tasks does a professional in Educational Management perform?
- Carry out a comprehensive evaluation of the educational center, covering all functional aspects, as well as the educational objectives and the strategy to achieve them.
- It develops strategies for the reform of the managerial roles of the institution, as well as the managerial style, to maximize educational efficiency.
- Introduces innovative methods within the field of education, to adapt the institution to current times.
- Make the necessary changes to optimize the teaching work in the classroom.
- He organizes multidisciplinary teams to analyze together with him the need for modifications in the study curriculum, and designs the strategy to implement these modifications.
- Applies management techniques within the daily organization of the educational institution, in order to achieve the highest possible efficiency within the administration of available resources.
What is studied in Educational Management?
Although the subjects will change according to different factors such as the institution, the duration or the orientation of the career, you will find subjects such as Management Roles, Education Schools, Conflict Resolution, Community Network Management, Educational Curriculum Evaluation, Educational Organization and Administration, Educational Quality Management, Institutional Management, Educational Legislation, Educational Technology, etc.
What is the job opportunity for a professional in Educational Management?
Job opportunities are varied, although in general it is related to educational environments. The professional will be able to carry out his tasks in the direction of educational institutions, public or private and of all educational levels; teaching, in matters related to educational management; forming teams for the development of educational projects; in areas of internal training of public organizations or private companies; in the development of training courses or training for community institutions; advise or be part of government areas dedicated to the design and implementation of educational policies.
Can anyone study Educational Management?
Again, it will depend on the career chosen, but you must bear in mind that in many cases previous degrees related to education or pedagogy and / or some experience within the teaching field are required.
Advantages of studying Educational Management
- It will allow you to achieve positions of hierarchy and responsibility.
- You will be in charge of the comprehensive management of institutions.
- Good management of an educational institution will generate prestige and new job options.
- You will be in direct contact with a significant number of people, which will make it a satisfying job.
- It is a profession that will allow you to apply your knowledge and inventiveness with some freedom, and will even encourage you to do so.
Disadvantages of studying Educational Management
- Job alternatives can be a bit limited.
- It may take time for you to get a responsible job.
- Poor management can mark your career and make it difficult to continue.
Where to study Educational Management?
Argentina: The University of Lanús offers the Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Management, aimed at education professionals, it is face-to-face and lasts 2 and a half years. The National Technological University grants the Master’s Degree in Higher Education Management, with a duration of 1 year. FLACSO offers the Specialization in Management and Conduction of the Educational System, it is distance learning and lasts 1 year. There are numerous courses, specializations, masters and bachelor’s degrees, since it is a career on the rise, so you have variety to choose the highest quality ones.
Spain: The University of Barcelona dictates a Master in Direction and Management of Educational Centers, with a duration of 1 year. The University of La Rioja offers you a postgraduate course as an Expert in Quality and Improvement of Educational Centers, it is online and lasts 6 months. At the University of Valencia you can study the University Master’s Degree in Politics, Management and Direction of Educational Organizations, for 1 year.
Mexico: The National Pedagogical University offers the Bachelor of Educational Administration, which lasts 8 semesters.
Uruguay: At the Catholic University of Uruguay there are the Specialization in Management of Educational Centers, with a duration of 365 hours, and the Diploma of Professional Improvement in Educational Management, which has a blended modality.
Curious fact: The Finnish educational system is one of the most curious and successful in the world. Children enter classes at 7 years old; education, food and study materials are completely free; they have exams only in their teens; teachers must have a master’s degree, 93% finish secondary school, and two out of three students go to university, and yet Finland spends less than 7% of its GDP on education.