Know different learning strategies it is really important to get the most out of our study hours. Obviously, the ways of studying will vary depending on the type of subject that we have to learn and also according to the type of test or exam we have to take.
Before describing the ways to study It is convenient to remember a series of general considerations or indications that will help you achieve better results. One of them is the study planning. If you are doing a degree, a master’s degree or any other type of training that requires passing different tests, make a calendar where all the calls appear. This will allow you distribute the time correctly to study in advance.
Success in the study is closely related to the discipline and the constancy. It does not usually work to spend a day studying many hours in a row if there is no continuity and will for the learning to be consolidated.
It is also very important to create a peaceful and pleasant environment where you have no interruptions or distractions. Therefore, before starting to study surround yourself with all the material you need and choose a place where you feel good. All of this will help you focus and make better use of your study time.
The pauses They are also fundamental and you must take them into account whatever your way of studying. The effectiveness of study hours will be greater if you take breaks in which you free your mind and your body from the tension that studying implies. It is not a waste of time, on the contrary, they are moments very well invested, because your body needs to rest and regain energy, otherwise you may end up collapsing.
Different ways of studying
Each person is different and a way of studying is effective for them. Before opting for one of them, it is convenient to do a review of the main ways of studying and know what they consist of and what advantages each one of them brings. Of course, all these ways of studying can be combined looking for maximum effectiveness of our study hours.
- Read. Reading and rereading the subject we must learn is one of the most common forms of study. There are people who only by repeatedly reading books or notes on the subject to be learned, they assimilate and internalize it. It should be said that this type of strategy creates a feeling of familiarity with the content that can be mistaken for really meaningful learning. Thus, it is important to complement it with other study techniques that allow you to demonstrate what you have understood.
- Underline and outline. It would complement the previous one. Underlining key concepts helps to identify the main ideas at a glance when rereading the text. In addition, it allows making connections between the different terms to create a posterior concept map. When making outlines or summaries, a synthesis exercise is carried out that helps to extract the most important points and associate them with other more secondary contents. Nevertheless, it is convenient that these are done from what you remember trying to recover the information to get the knowledge fixed.
Hear. There are people who have a greater capacity for listening comprehension. In these cases, their way of studying is usually to record the texts or notes that they must learn and listen to them repeatedly until they are assimilated. After try to explain to someone what you just learned, in this way you will make sure that you have learned it.
Memorize. Memorization is one of the forms of study that we all must use at some point, because there are always data or concepts that we have to remember as they are. Learning to memorize may seem complicated, but there are different methods, such as the mnemonic rules, that can help you in this task. Remember that to make it easier to remember, you must relate what you want to learn with something you already know, that is, to link new knowledge with others that you already had.
- Image association. For people who are more visual, the acquisition of new content can be done with the help of images, colors or figures. In these cases, markers of different colors are usually used to underline texts or images are introduced that act as a switch that awakens the association of concepts and contents to consolidate them in memory.
- Answer questions. Another way to study that can help you have good results. It consists of reviewing the subject matter by answering questions about what we have just studied. Is a very efficient way to check if the subject is being understood and assimilating correctly.
- Practice exercises and exams. Very similar to the previous one is the study method through exercises, tests and exam models. This way it is checked if the subject is known and the points or aspects in which it is necessary to continue working are identified.