Description of the International Baccalaureate
The International Baccalaureate (IB), also know as Diploma Program (PD), is a pre-university course aimed at students from 16 to 19 years old, demanding and two years duration taught in three languages: English, French and Spanish.
It is a quality international education program, founded by the International Baccalaureate Organization in 1968 and unified in various centers on the five continents.
This training will help you develop the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to adapt to a particularly globalized world.
Structure of the International Baccalaureate
The Diploma Program (DP) is made up of a common core and six subject groups.
The common trunk, is intended to broaden the educational experience and will challenge you to apply your knowledge and skills. Its components are:
- Theory of knowledge: it reflects on the nature of Knowledge and the way in which we know what we claim to know.
- Monograph: An independent research work is carried out, culminating in a 4,000 word essay.
- Creativity, Action and Service: a project related to these three concepts is completed.
In addition to the common trunk, there are six subject groups, each group comprises different courses:
- Language and Literature Studies
- Language Acquisition
- Individuals and Societies
What subjects do I have to take?
You will have to choose a course from each of the first five subject groups, as well as an Arts subject or a second subject from groups 1 to 5.
You will take some subjects of Higher Level (240 hours) and others of Medium Level (150 hours). The difference between the levels is in terms of their scope, but both are evaluated by the same criteria.
You will have to take a minimum of three subjects (and a maximum of four) at Higher Level and the rest at Intermediate Level.
International Baccalaureate Assessment
For each of the six subjects, students obtain a grade ranging from 1 to 7 to which are added the marks of the common core that can range between 0 and 3 points.
At the end of the International Baccalaureate, the grades of all the subjects of the two courses are added. To obtain the diploma, at least 24 points are needed, in addition to passing the subjects of the common core.
Exits from the International Baccalaureate
After completing the Diploma Program, you will be able to access the various university studies at universities around the world.
Access to the university is carried out according to the access requirements of each of the universities, but having completed the Diploma Program can help you in the admission process.
In the case of admission to Spanish public universities, if you have obtained the International Baccalaureate degree, you will be able to access the university through the access route for foreigners. This means that you will be able to directly access university studies with your average high school grade, but if you want to improve your grade, you will be able to take the specific phase of selectivity. Access procedures are carried out through the UNEDasiss service of the National Distance Education University (UNED).
The equivalence between the International Baccalaureate grades and the Spanish grades is as follows:
|International Baccalaureate Note||Spanish note|
Where to study the International Baccalaureate?
On the International Baccalaureate (IB) website there is a center search engine where you can find all the centers that offer these studies.
Aspects to take into account when studying the International Baccalaureate
- It works so that students are able to think independently, leading their learning
- This training allows access to higher studies in some of the most prestigious universities in the world.
- Internationalization is promoted and work is being done to improve adaptation to a globalized and constantly changing world.
- Students are exempt from taking the general phase of the university entrance exams. A conversion formula will be applied to obtain the qualification of access to the Spanish university.
Find out about the Baccalaureate characteristics, its outings and connections with other studies and other programs such as the Bachibac to be able to choose the best Baccalaureate for you.