The Primary education It comprises six academic years, from 6 to 12 years old, and is compulsory and free.
This is the compulsory first stage of the education system Therefore, all girls and boys must join it in the calendar year that they turn 6 years old, regardless of whether or not they have completed Early Childhood Education.
its purpose It is to facilitate learning such as oral expression and comprehension, writing, reading, calculation, the acquisition of basic notions of culture, the habits of coexistence, study and work, the artistic sense, creativity and affectivity. In short, key competencies for the development of a human being in society.
These teachings try to guarantee students a integral formation and prepare it for Compulsory Secondary Education (ESO).
The methodology didactics has a personal character and adapts to the different learning rhythms of each girl or boy.
At this stage, special emphasis is placed on attention to diversity of the students. Personalized attention is provided based on individual needs, implementing reinforcement measures against possible learning difficulties to achieve school success.
Primary Education is divided into six school years that are grouped in three cycles:
- Initial cycle: 6 to 8 years.
- Medium cycle: 8 to 10 years.
- Upper cycle: 10 to 12 years.
Likewise, it is organized into subjects and areas with a global and inclusive character. Teachers teach all subjects, except for Music, Physical Education and foreign languages, which are taught by teachers with the corresponding specialization.
The subjects of Primary Education are the following:
- Subjects trunk: common subjects for all students that allow them to acquire a solid training and continue with use in the later stages.
- Spanish Language and Literature
- natural Sciences
- social Sciences
- First Foreign Language
- Subjects specific: At least 3 out of a 6 offer are taken. It is compulsory to take Physical Education and Religion or Social and Civic Values.
- Physical education
- Religion or Social and Civic Values
- At least one of the following:
- Artistic education
- Second Foreign Language
- If the families or legal guardians have not chosen you before:
- Social and Civic Values
- Subjects of free configuration autonomic: Subjects subject to the offer of the autonomous educational administrations and the choice or design of the subjects according to the centers themselves.
- Co-official Language and Literature (receives a treatment analogous to the area of Spanish Language and Literature).
- Specific subjects not taken or areas to be determined.
- Deepening or reinforcement of the trunk lines or areas to be determined by the Administrations or educational centers.
In all areas it works in a transversal way reading comprehension, oral and written expression, audiovisual communication, information and communication technologies, entrepreneurship, and civic and constitutional education.
The educational centers define the schedules of the different subjects following the guidelines established by the different educational administrations. It is also the educational center that designs its own educational project center in which it defines the identity of the center, values, objectives, educational and methodological approaches.
The curriculum of Primary Education establishes the seven key competencies following:
- Linguistic communication.
- Mathematical competence and basic competences in science and technology.
- Digital competence.
- Learn to learn.
- Social and civic competences.
- Sense of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Consciousness and cultural expressions.
Evaluation and promotion
The evaluation is continuous and global, and their progress in all areas is taken into account. The evaluation criteria and standards depend on each subject and are found in Royal Decree 126/2014, of February 28.
At the end of the third and sixth year of Primary, an individualized evaluation is carried out:
- 3rd test: Competence in linguistic communication and mathematical competence.
- 6th grade test: Competence in linguistic communication, mathematical competence and basic skills in science and technology.
The promotion of the students to the following courses and stages is done taking into account the acquisition of the objectives and competencies defined for each of the courses. If not, students can repeat just one time during the stage and will always be considered an exceptional measure.
Where to study
These studies are carried out in Primary Education schools, these centers can be public, concerted or private, and teach other training levels in addition to Primary Education, such as Early Childhood Education or Compulsory Secondary Education (ESO).
You can consult the educational centers that teach these classes in the State Registry of Non-university Teaching Centers (RCD). In addition, if due to personal circumstances, the child cannot attend school in person, he or she can take these studies through the Center for Innovation and Development of Distance Education (CIDEAD).
In the moment of choose the Primary Education center For your daughters or sons, you have to take into account different aspects such as their ownership, the pedagogical project, the location, the size, the studies it offers, etc. It is important that you define well the type of center you want, identify which centers meet these requirements, collect information from them, and from here, choose.
Below we list the main steps that will help you in this choice. You must bear in mind that the pre-registration period It is usually between February and April (depending on the autonomous community) and that the dates vary each year. For this reason, it is important that if you have to choose a center for the following year, at the beginning of the year you start looking for the centers that interest you and find out when the open days are held so that you have time to do the whole process well.
Departures and connections with other studios
At the end of Primary Education, students enter Compulsory Secondary Education (ESO)