The Art Director is one of the most requested roles in any advertising agency. A good art director translates the marketing strategy into a visual language that speaks to the target audience and expresses the value of the brand.
Description of the job:
An Art Director usually works as a team with a copywriter. Together, they are responsible for the creation of all kinds of advertising campaigns. The Art Director’s job is to direct the visual elements of the campaign. Whether it is to design the ads, websites or brochures for an advertising agency the Art Director leads a team of people, from a programmer or a user experience designer to make them work together and without problems .
- Ability to translate marketing strategy into persuasive designs, logos and packaging.
- Strong design experience.
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends
- Ability to manage a project from concept to production, in multiple media.
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Css, HTML.
Education and formation
Most of the posts art director require a bachelor’s degree in advertising, design, multimedia design, and / or related experience. Agencies typically ask for at least three years of experience, and many ask for at least seven years of advertising or design experience. Some agencies, usually the larger ones, will require a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in design, fine arts or communication.
Tasks that an Art Director performs
- Meet with a copywriter to develop ad campaign concepts
- Design advertisements, websites, and other materials.
- Give clear instructions to designers.
- Attend creative sessions with other team members to develop concepts for a new business presentation.